Consultant and Interim Head of Product to set up and lead a new development team and product for Flow XO, a conversational service platform enabling B2Cs and Digital Agencies to easily build end to end services for multiple messaging platforms, including Facebook Messenger, SMS, Telegram, WhatsApp and iMessage… Smart Chatbots with purpose.
The role was to help form a new studio and development team in Manchester, take ownership of the Flow XO chatbot platform, hands on UX, UI and product design, and handle the day to day running of the new studio. In addition, regular stakeholder meetings out of the head office in Manchester, as well as regular customer meetings for product feedback.
Roles and responsibilities included:
- Hiring, Managing, inspiring and motivating team members
- Introduce a new production / agile culture to the organization for growth
- Created company’s first Product Vision and Strategy doc and presentation
- Working with the Head of Marketing on product communication
- Set up company’s partnership with Facebook Messenger partnership program
- Managing design and development backlog across multiple streams
- Design forecasting, strategy and planning backlogs for future sprints
- Running stand-ups, product presentations and brainstorm meetings
- Regular communication Stakeholders and Customers
- Helping to shape Use Cases and User Journeys
- Created the companies first UX Toolkits for consistency and efficient design in the future
- And obviously getting my hands dirty with plenty of UX / UI Design Work!
After kicking things off for this role at the head office in Lancashire, my first responsibility was to shortlist and settle on a new studio in central Manchester. We opted for a co-working environment to help bring us closer to likeminded companies that could help shape our product, as well as being attractive to new developers in the area.
I was responsible for hiring our first in-house development team, as well as working with multiple remote contractors. I introduced a ‘flexible’ agile way of working, and mindful to ensure that the process allowed us to evolve and grow with the team, as well as appreciating the history and ways of working with the original team in Lancashire. I created and was responsible for managing the product backlog, consisting of multiple development tracks, from new tools on the platform, to feature improvements, QA and RnD projects.
With Flow XO being in its infancy as a team, it was essential that management were also very hands on with production work too. With my creative and design background I also took responsibility for all UX and product design work, producing flow diagrams, high fidelity wireframes, and the company’s first UX Toolkit.
The other strand to my role was establishing relationships with our customers and peers to receive feedback on our product. I established our first meetings with Facebook Messenger partners, as well as setting up seminars to educate businesses on messaging as an industry.